About Me

Barrington, IL, United States
I am a amateur wildlife photographer who lives in Barrington Illinois. I will use this blog to display my photographs and share the story of how I captured them. Hopefully, anyone reading this blog will venture outdoors and learn all they can about nature. I am convinced that you first have to learn about something to care about something.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday April 2nd - Kansas Day 2- Second post today





This morning my guide sent me about 200 yards away from the blind. She is really giving me special treatment because I am a "photographer." I appreciate it but I'm not sure its fair.

We knew there was a chance of thunderstorms before we set off this morning and we saw it lightning before we even got the lek. My guide told me that if the lightning too close that she would call me and that we would leave before the birds left.

It was dark this morning because of the storm. It never got any lighter than me having my camera at 2000 ISO (maybe 1600 once), f 2.8 and about 120th of a second shutter speed. Thats the most light there was and that was only for about the last ten minutes or so. I had several birds really close but because there was not any light I did not get anything too wonderful. I'm really optimistic about the next two mornings though. Tomorrow morning I will be in Matfield Green, Kansas which is about 100 miles away from where I have been the past two mornings.

While I was driving today I saw a group of turkeys in a field. I quickly pulled over, got my camera put together and changed the head from the tripod to the car mount. Then I got the camera mounted on the window and backed back up the highway. It was scary because I was thinking that the camera might fall off as I was backing up but it turned out ok. I got some good shots of these jakes. Too bad they weren't big toms or else this would be a frame worthy shot.

I'm at a McDonalds in Emporia, Kansas right now. I'm not sure how or why i ended up here. I just needed something to do because I cant get to my location tonight until about 6 or 7 and I was thrown out of my hotel at 11 am this morning.


1 comment:

  1. I hope the lighting is better for you the next two days! These are still very cool and it looks like you were really close.

    ReplyDelete