About Me

Barrington, IL, United States
I am a amateur wildlife photographer who lives in Barrington Illinois. I will use this blog to display my photographs and share the story of how I captured them. Hopefully, anyone reading this blog will venture outdoors and learn all they can about nature. I am convinced that you first have to learn about something to care about something.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

New photography tool

A couple of years ago I bought two ghillie suits. These are the suits that snipers wear and are superior to the 2 dimensional camouflage that most people wear.

There were two types available; a "grassland" version which was the exact color of the grass in the background here or a "woodland" version which is what I have. I did not want to buy both versions but I wish I would have now because obviously the darker does not work well in the yellow grass. It still works quite well though when you are sitting as in the second pictures.

If I wanted to spend the time I could make this very effective by placing grass into the suit. This is about 10 seconds worth of effort. If I had spent 5-minutes, I think a person would be nearly invisible, even standing in the open.

I used this in the spring turkey woods last year and it was unreal how well it worked. You can even move around turkeys IF you do so very, very slowly.

1 comment:

  1. Those things are pretty cool. I like watching the military channel when they have these on and are doing training maneuvers. The last one I watched the guys that stayed away from trees did best, they spotters up in the towers actually could not locate them nearly as easy when they were crawling or moving on the ground.

    ReplyDelete